Monday, March 2, 2009

My Visit to Columbus- Day 1

This past weekend I finally got to make the trip to visit Aubrey, Meredith, and Bryan in Columbus! Though the trip did not have an auspicious start-I drove an hour and a half in a rather fun thunderstorm amidst some of Georgia's worst drivers- people, please learn to make sure the brake lights on your trailer work, especially when the weather is bad- the rest of the trip was perfect.

Friday I arrived shortly before 5 (The Elders- Bryan and Meredith-live on 13th Street, I had typed in 13th Avenue on my gps, so I arrived a little later than I meant to). Once there, I got a brief tour of the newlywed's incredibly cute apartment, and then it was off to Wyld Life for Tye Dye Night!

Once we arrived I got to see my dear Aubrey! She was decked out in some "groovy" threads and she went over the evening to come. Aubs is heading up Columbus's Wyld Life and by the looks of it, she is doing an amazing job. This was my first time seeing Wyld Life in action. There are a couple of things I noticed- 1) Middle schoolers are strange little beings. And I do mean little. I promise you, I was NOT that short when I was in middle school, and I don't think I was that awkward either... 2)Middle schoolers could play games for hours. Four corners, knee to elbow, pull-n-switch, they could have kept going and going and going and NEVER have gotten bored. I felt like more so than anything, the Wyld Life leaders were there to maintain the chaos. Kids were running around everywhere, they were playing with the food, dancing, singing, it was beautiful chaos.

After the wild things left, we cleaned up and headed out for mexican. Chicken enchilada and queso? YES please. Note- Sweet Tea is NOT a good idea with mexican. I left the restaurant feeling more full than I had in a LONG time.. thanks sweet tea.

Back at the Elder residence we begin playing one game I am horrible at- Speed Uno. If you have never played this game- get ready- it moves fast, is super fun, and can make you feel like you aren't the quickest. After losing the game (by a hundred or so points), I voted on Apples to Apples as our next adventure. By 2am, the game had dwindled, people were fading, and the night had come to a close.

All in all, it was a fun night full of meeting lots of new people, trying to play new games, and attempting to exist in a world where I did not use sarcasm (lent, oh lent).

No comments:

Post a Comment